My longbows and quivers

    As the originator of this Blog, it would seem that I've got a simple advertising campaign going for my wares.  Nope, sorry.  I am a very busy guy, who happens to own a business and works 55-60 hours a week running the show.  The amount of time I have available to build bows is limited.  Building my longbows with a process that is very similar to the old ways that Hill crafted his, is very time consuming and over the years, my waiting list grew to be very long.  I ceased taking orders several years ago and now am still working through the final remnants of that list.  I will make it public knowledge when the "list" opens up again to take orders.

   I also work on other bowmaker's offerings to refinish, retiller, reduce weight and otherwise customize to the owner.  Some of these bows are 40 years old...some are one or two years old.  This knowledge of working with other bow designs and learning how to retiller a limb to match a Hill tiller gives me an edge somewhat to knowing of what I speak when it comes to what makes a Hill - style bow.  Currently I'm not taking any re-work orders as I'm needing a break from that endeavor for a bit, and besides...it's hunting season. 😁

   As far as the leatherworking side...that's much easier to fit into my schedule and I haven't ceased from building Hill - style quivers as time permits.  I was given the unique opportunity to inspect John Schulz's personal backquiver, inspect another that was personally made for one of his great friends in the 70's, get patterns from the Schulz family for the sizing, and get my quivers inspected by John and given his approval.  John made his first backquiver and took the pattern for later use, from Howard's personal quiver being in use from the later 40's and early 50's.  Howard took his quiver apart to replace the lacing and John copied it.  So it's safe to say that the Schulz variation of quiver is the most accurate to the original Hill quiver and it varies a little bit from other company's offerings.  I can be contacted via email with any quiver orders if one wishes,  but I will also say this....

   I attached a link to the Howard Hill Archery website to visit.  They make some very fine Hill - style longbows and leather goods at very fair prices.  You can still get the whole package including arrows and broadheads from them.  The Hill broadhead is still one of my two favorite heads.  Craig has done a very good job for a very long time in producing Hill equipment for longbow archers and has been around when other companies have come and gone.  Check out their wares if you wish and tell him I sent you.

Shoot Straight

Comments

  1. Nate - I've never seen it offered by you, but do you build a Hill style armguard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate, a couple of years back I thought I was on your build list but don’t know if I’m still there or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul...Old Sailor...yes, you are one of the guys on that list I was mentioning.

      Delete
  3. I have one of Nates quivers and it is almost identical to the one Schulz made me in the early 80's-- I really use a back quiver and they are nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made my own Hill-style quiver about 9 years ago from plans I found somewhere online. I’m wondering how it compares to your quivers? How much does one of your quivers cost and how long would a fella have to wait?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also be interested in getting a quiver from you if are taking orders. I'd love to get my name on the list for a bow too, but one step at a time. :)

      Delete
    2. Please email me, the address is listed under my profile.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff Nate! So excited to see you putting this content out and look forward to see what you do next. Question: What is your other favorite broadhead besides the Hill head? Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome to hear you are still in the business. I'd love to get my name on your bow list when it opens up again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nate
    I must say that the Hill style quivers I have made have gotten plenty of hunting miles but when I received the one you made for me, mine have become either wall hangers or practice quivers. Your workmanship is flawless.
    Thanks again!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

POPULAR TOPICS