Simplicity and Refinement

    The allure of the simple Hill - style longbow draws many archers to want to handle it...to touch it, to feel the featherweight heft.  It hold a certain allure that other bows don't have.  No discredit to any other bows available today, there's just something about the straight-end longbow...maybe it's the simplicity, maybe it's the symmetry, maybe the lack of clutter needed to shoot an arrow from it.  

     The fact that this style of longbow was made famous by Howard Hill and certain ardent followers over the past decades is causing a lot of archers to want to dive headfirst into all that shooting the Hill - style longbow has to offer.  What is it that draws so many?  Why are they successful in the hunting fields and on the range using such a simple bow?  We will dig into some of the why's.  We will discuss the how's as well.  But first, we need to lay the groundwork for why this Blog came about.

     There is a lot of misinformation out there concerning the simple Howard Hill inspired longbow.  Commonly termed ASL (American Semi-Longbow) by a lot of archers today, it has become a maligned weapon because of some loose terminology and acceptance by multitudes of archers of products that are indeed not "Hill" style.   This Blog is not going to disparage any type of traditional stickbow.  There's lots of them out there to choose from.  There's lots of very good bow designs that will shoot arrows extremely well, extremely efficient, and extremely accurate.  This Blog is to take nothing away from any archers in their choice of bow, to make them feel inferior in any way for their archery tackle choices.  This Blog is to simply explain what a Hill - style longbow is, what the Hill - style archery tackle is and what's the shooting method that was used by Hill and his students over the years.

    As would be expected by someone that was in archery for his entire life,  Hill did modify, change, alter,  update and refine his preferred equipment over the years.  That's where some of the time things can get a little confusing.  However, we have good references to check, photos and videos to see and words to read and they all make sense if you get into the spirit of the man and understand his thought process a little.  That's where John Schulz comes in.  He spent years as one of Howard's "boys" since Howard and wife Elizabeth didn't have any children.  John spent hundreds and hundreds of hours shooting with Howard.  I know of no other person that had that much time and opportunity besides Wayne Stotler and a few other close friends that have never attempted to pass along the Hill information. John has said that there are those who claim to represent the Hill style, but you need to check their credentials or you'll be misinformed.  Well...I don't claim to have those credentials.  I did have the opportunity to discuss much about the Hill style with John Schulz and when I compared the info to Hill's personal writing, his photos and film,  I found that Schulz's words to me were the most accurate of any I'd heard.  He got me into the thought process of Hill, by understanding the utilitarian, simplistic approach that Hill used in archery.   I know there are others out there who have talked with Hill and learned things from him.  I'm not discounting any of their experiences and words, at all.  However, there are some things that are to be taken with some extra salt when you compare their words with actual knowledge and footage of Hill and see for yourself what's what.   In this Blog,  I will be bringing out that kind of information...the what's what if you will.  Friendly comments and civil discussion will be welcomed, as we can share and learn.

     For some personal reference I'd like to say...  I've been shooting a Hill - style longbow since 1987 exclusively.  I've owned some great bows from great bowyers and I've been building longbows since 1991.  I didn't say I've been building Hill - style longbows since 1991.  No,  I don't believe I really understood what made this type of longbow unique until I started conversing with Schulz in 2004 and he started giving me pointers.  But as he told me several times,  bowmaking and refining the art of bowmaking takes time...but you've got to be on the right track.  He wasn't concerned, and neither am I,  about anyone making any kind of bow.  The only thing that irked him was when someone called a certain straight-end longbow a Hill style longbow when it obviously wasn't, even with the most casual of glances.  From 2016 until John passed away, he and I got together a couple of times, shot together and mostly talked personal experiences and longbows, bowmaking and shooting.  Through phone conversations and texting, he shared other information that ramped up my bowmaking abilities until one day, after inspecting a longbow I'd built, and then looking it over for a second time with his glasses on very intently,  he said "Nate, you've moved to a whole other level of bowmaking".  I took that to mean I'd graduated somewhat.  John explained that Hill looked for refinement in the bows from John, and over the years, the refinement came.  John said that looking at Hill's personal bows, there can be noted that same refinement over time as Hill got better and better.   Later John told me that I was on the right "track" and that all it took was more refinement and that can only come with time.  So here we are...constantly refining.  Refining the process of bowmaking, of shooting, of learning.  We should all attempt to refine our experiences with the Hill - style longbow and it's shooting method.  There are many bowmakers today making several models of Hill - style longbows.  All of us bowmakers should be constantly refining our offerings.  Refining to the point where each bow, if it is touted as a Hill - style, should be crafted as accurately as possible to the style of longbow that Hill made and used.  Not just what suits the bowmaker's design wishes.  This deviation from proper Hill - style longbows is where Schulz said the whole thing will go awry.  He was right.  Let's get back on track.

    The refinement can only come when we are on course and know the direction to take.  Hill was very direct in his approach and his instructions.  Schulz was also.  That's good.  We need to have a standard to look back at and have as the measuring stick to see how well we stay on track.  I will attempt to give out information that keeps on track because it will be directly associated with Hill - style longbows and the associated tackle and shooting method directly from those two men.  When I give out information, I will also give out the reasons behind it and why it works.  If it ruffles a few feathers,  I ask that you give it some time and thought.  Study it.  Spend time immersing yourself in it and just see if what I say isn't the truth,  I will only be saying what I believe to be the truth.

Shoot Straight.

      

Comments

  1. Very well stated, look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nate! Look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

POPULAR TOPICS