The Hill style backquiver

    As an aside to the longbow talk lately,  let's talk backquivers, Hill style.  This type of backquiver was designed by Hill over several years and several modifications.  Originally, his quivers were rather small and tube-like and then he found the advantages of a larger quiver but he used very soft leather.  This required a bottom and top stiffener cuff added to keep the quiver from collapsing too much.  This quiver style is very evident in the movie Robin Hood where Hill is shown shooting in various scenes...and also in some of the still photos taken at archery events.  Later, he used quivers without the cuffs and he had to use an arrow shaft along the outside of the quiver to keep it from collapsing....he seemed to like the softer leather and found it had it's issues.

    Along about the late 1950's or early 1960's he found the right stiffness and temper of leather, which would be flexible but not soft enough to collapse.   He used this quiver for many years with success and when the lacing started to deteriorate, he took the quiver apart to re-lace and at that time, John Schulz copied the pattern and from there, the manufacture of this quiver style because available to the public. John's son Steve discussed this quiver style with me in the 1980's and told me there were 7 basic elements to the Hill quiver design, and that most people don't get all of them correct on the copies, homemade or otherwise.  The Hill design works very well and is easy to use in the woods.  If you miss some of the specific features, you may find yourself hating the quiver for it's uselessness.

    In this attached video I did last year,  I discuss most of these elements of the Hill style quiver.  It covers the bases and from this info, things can be tweaked to make the quiver more personal, but these basic elements are what make the quiver, a proper Hill style quiver.  Sorry about the video quality, some day I may get a better one made, but it goes through the basics of what to look for and how to use one.



     The Hill style quiver is a companion to the longbow, something that is intrinsic to the entire Hill - style system.  It does take some time to learn it's nuances...how to move in the woods quietly, how to handle arrows while using it, etc.  However, once this short learning curve is mastered, in my opinion and those of other die-hard Hill style longbow shooters,  it's the best quiver going.   Give one a try...

Shoot Straight.


 

Comments

  1. great vidieo

    definately gotta have one designed right and I have been using one so long I don't even think about it just works with out thinking

    If to soft or too stiff it is not gonna function properly and will be just an arrow holder and not a useful tool

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a good leather back quiver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice vid on the quiver. I feel naked without my Steen made back quiver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also of great importance is spending the time and effort to learn the quiver by using it. Don't try it for a few hunts and discard it because it snagged a few branches...learn to use it and walk around the woods with it, then you can see the advantages unfold. It becomes a part of you. Make an honest effort to use it for a season or two and not just a few hunts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried a back quiver previously with my Hill style/ASL longbows, but ended up giving it away when I wasn’t able to make it work well for me. I have a limited range of mobility in my right shoulder for drawing arrows, but I can see from the video that I had it slung too high, and probably not the ideal design formed/fit properly either. I also wasn’t understanding about the elbow bump from the other side. I’d like to give the proper Hill back quiver a try again, and live in southern ID…recommendations? Thx for a very interesting blog that I’m enjoying following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go ahead and email me. My email is on the profile page

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nate, sitting at my computer this grey December day I've just discovered this fine blog. Thanks very much for publishing it. I've been an archer, fletcher and bowhunter as long as I can remember, shoot mild r/d longbows now, along with vintage straight grip static recurves that I rehab and build matched arrows for. I had a copy of "Hitting 'em like Howard Hill" that I reread many times. It greatly influenced my shooting style. I loaned it out many years ago and it never found its way back to me, so I guess at age 70 now I'm on a quest to reconnect with my shooting roots. I also bought a Hill style quiver from American Leathers maybe 30 years ago. It's fine, but not as flexible or wide as what you show in the video, nor is it the proper height. I'll contact your email and hope I can get a proper one from you. Thanks again for this blog, I'm working my way through every one of your posts. Happy Holiday to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments. The Hill style is more than just a bow or quiver... It's an approach to shooting and hunting "the hard way". Many a fine archer has used a recurve or static tip bow with a backquiver... It's all good. By the way, James made really good quivers back then, I'm honored to carry along the tradition. You must've got one of his smaller quivers. Feel free to email me, email is located via my profile. Merry Christmas to you and all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an original Hill quiver I purchased around 68 or 69 in my home town from a fella that ran an archery shop out of his garage when he wasn't working for the Erie RR. Still have it and it pretty much looks the same as it did when I bought it save for the pouch on it. In the mid 80's I switched to a cat quiver. More convenient for me when still hunting and I thought the drawing motion was a bit more subdued when reaching for an arrow. But for stumping I do today it is the HIll quiver all the way. I also purchased one off the LW that is near identical but just alot newer is all. stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. My issue is I cant get a back quiver to work with a backpack. Where and how I hunt I need a backpack to carry my food and water and to pack out anything I kill. I know Howard was tough and probably had a meatloaf sandwich and pack of luckies as his gear for a day of hard hunting but I cant make it work. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a hunting community in general, we tend to carry way more into the woods than the older generations did. We honestly don't need all the gear that people tend to carry to hunt, especially on the local woodlots and forest grounds less than 2 miles from any road or vehicle. Personally I just carry a haversack, even if hunting elk far from the roads. I have emergency gear, some snacks and a little water (but a filter to get more water as needed so I'm not carrying a day's supply) and if I'm a long way back, I also carry Idaho Pack-out-Bags strapped to my haversack to carry game back on the first trip. If my style of hunting consisted of camping out each night in different terrain while following game, then a backpack would be beneficial, but otherwise, the entire approach to simplifying the hunting technique and using the Hill system is an exercise in downsizing and learning to do more with less.

      Delete

Post a Comment

POPULAR TOPICS