Shooting tips...the hidden gems pt. 2

        One of the most important things that John Schulz reiterated over and over again to me in the shooting lessons was the aspect of being fluid.  He said being fluid can be like water, or syrup, different speeds but the idea was to maintain the fluid aspect throughout the entire shot process.  Mind you, this teaching was directed totally to shooting a longbow with a hunting perspective, and not target shooting.

       An archer has to keep in mind that the shooting of targets is part of our fun, our practice.  It's not simply shooting targets that deviates the target teaching methods currently in favor from the Hill hunting style shot, but rather the mental approach of shooting a fixed target over and over.  Grouping arrows. Consistency for dozens if not hundreds of shots.  The benefit of a target that will never move during the time it takes to get set and shoot an arrow. 

       We shoot at targets to ingrain the system into our muscle memory and train the eye, but our mental approach should be to practice with a hunting mentality and that's where being fluid comes into focus. This approach to shooting targets, which can be a dandelion in a field or a face on a bale, used for practicing hunting style shots is to be always remembered as a different approach than tournament target style.  And also remember that 3d shooting wasn't popular when Hill and Schulz taught, but the approach to 3d is similar to field archery common in their day, in its methods of shooting stationary targets at unmarked ranges. The end result of target tournament shooting is a score, whether written or kept in the shooter's head, versus an animal reduced to possession.

      As Schulz watched me shoot the bales, the roving shots, the intricate and the moving shots, he never said a word about anchor points or back tension or anything along those lines. He wasn't negligent, as he said over and over, "Nate, slow down, you're shooting too quickly, be fluid but more like syrup than water".  He was watching closely, but only keyed on the things that were important to the Hill method and as long as I wasn't too far off, there was no reason to change things. Eventually I asked him about my release, if I was doing it right, because I couldn't quite get my thumb under the ear at anchor like he did in the video.

      "Nate,  I wish I'd never had said that in the video.  I've received many questions about how to do it right and when I realized that people get more static in their approach to get the double anchor correct, that's had the opposite effect than I wanted. People are trying to get both anchors accomplished before they release and are thinking too much at the shot about things other than the target".  John went on to remind me what he said... "that if you learn to do it right, in reality you'll have two reference points, or two anchors".  The reference point is the key thing.  Not the anchor.  Anchor implies being stationary, being static.  A stopping point of sorts.  Anchoring the shot.  While this is desired in tournament target style of shooting, it's the opposite of what is desired in the fluid, sometimes fast and reactionary style of shooting needed to shoot game under varied conditions.

        Schulz said "that if you learn to do it right"....  He said to me that what he meant was you'd eventually arrive at a place where you recognized two reference points as your hand came back.  One was the initial contact on the face (the area around the corner of the mouth) and the secondary reference point is the thumb under the jaw...as that second position anchors the shot. Here is the point that I referenced in the earlier "gems" blog where I mention that someone can forget to say or teach something they are doing and later realize what they should have said.  John recognized sometime after the video went out that he should've clarified this part of the teaching.  That's why I'm saying it here as I believe it's a key part to being fluid, as he continued to tell me and some others of his students.

       As you are drawing the bow, pulling with the rear of the shoulder more than the rhomboids of the middle back, there is no need to consciously shift the attention or focus of the draw to different sets of muscles.  Concentration should be on the target at all times, not on form. (Unless you're just form shooting at the blank bale).  If the concentration is full on the target, the first reference point is the area of the corner of the mouth, but the draw doesn't stop there. The pulling continues as the fingers release the string and the natural recoil allows the hand to go back to the second reference point...thumb under the jaw, which in reality anchors the shot. This is done in one smooth fluid motion.  Consistency of draw before the fingers release happens when the mind recognizes (through much practice) the fingers start the release when the face is touched. Back tension allows a pull through dynamic release and the hand is never allowed to drift back beyond the second "anchor" of thumb under the jaw.  That's just enough movement to continue the proper tension needed for a crisp release, but not enough movement to allow a jerky release.  Just enough of a first reference point to keep the string from being released prematurely and correctly align the nock of the arrow under the eye and the string pulled to full draw.

       Where this approach to shooting is so important and different from other teaching, is that there is a dynamic part of the release, which remains fluid even during the release of the string off the fingers, on the way to a static, consistent anchoring of the shot.  Two parts. This dynamic fluidity allows for minute adjustments in the field as reactionary shots take place yet there remains a solid anchor to the shot. By that I mean that the release hand isn't flopping around at the release, causing plucks or short draws.  The hand stays in the face as Schulz's video and Hill's teaching says to do. If we release without a place for the hand to end up, where is it going ? Teaching today says to touch your shoulder. That's a lot of rearward movement that has to be very consistent to allow accurate shooting. Can you concentrate on a target so well that you do not know if your hand touches your shoulder the same every time?  Probably not. So if you're thinking about the hand touching the shoulder after you release, where is your concentration prior to release? Probably not fully on the target, where it should be and this will affect hunting accuracy to put the arrow in a live target that may only give you a second or two to shoot.  

       Holding an anchor at the corner of the mouth, to make sure you retain a consistent release turns into a static, motion-stopper. Then you must restart the motion rearward to get a good release. Hence the need for a clicker or extra thought process in the shooting steps.  Why not just perform a single fluid motion in which you never stop pulling the string, the muscles of the rear shoulder and back never lose tension, and the release happens on the way to a solid anchoring of the shot at completion.  To me, this lesson gem by Schulz is of paramount importance to a dynamic, fluid, Hill style shot. 

       If this approach is taken, then you can see in his video in the first form shots that his first "anchor" isn't really that.  It's almost floating, but if you look at the arrow point, the arrow is drawn fully the same each time.  His draw length doesn't change even if his first "anchor" varies slightly.  The pulling of the string continues to the secondary reference point or the "anchor" of the shot.  You can see variations of this same style and form of shooting by Hill in his various movie shorts.  Whatever the shot situation that may dictate the first reference point to be flexible, the second reference point anchor is the "real" anchor.  One of John's students told me he and John discussed this for probably 30 or so minutes...that anchor is probably a bit of a monomer, insofar as thinking it precipitates the release.  In reality anchor is after the release, when the dynamic process has stopped.  I can't think of a better way to say it.  

       This explains the shooting sequence I've mentioned before in which John drew his arrows to full length, but his fingers were not touching his face as they began letting go of the string.  With each shot upon release, the string hand moved slightly back to its resting place at the secondary anchor, thumb under the jaw and the shot was finalized.  This is dynamic consistency of form, without needing to stop the draw or shot cycle at any point to retain that consistency.  I like to remember Tom Schulz's words for it...."a deepening of anchor".  That's what it is.  A moving from one reference point to another as the string is released. This is the basic Hill form as John outlines. One moving targets he gave permission to be flexible and move according to and in rhythm with the target which may vary the anchor or follow-through somewhat.

The more that this is practiced and ingrained into the mind and muscle memory, the better shot that one can become, especially in a hunting situation where there is little time to think, but consistent form is needed for accuracy.  Practice this, especially with the thought of hunting in mind, even if you're shooting the targets in the back yard or on the 3d range. Practice shooting fluid and allowing the release to happen as you pull through the first anchor into your second anchor.  Your hits will improve in the kill zone and your hunting success will improve as well. With the better, more dynamic release, you'll probably find, as myself and others have found, a benefit of shooting a wider variety of arrow spines straight to the target. With this second gem, hidden in plain sight but not really explained by John, you'll be thinking, Wow...that's really important to a great shot.  You'd be partially right, but the string hand isn't the most important.  Remember...Hill was quoted as saying "the secret is in the hands".  Until the next gem...

       Shoot Straight. 



       

Comments

  1. That's a clarification that has been too many years in coming. I was always confused by what John asked the shooter to do, and what he himself did on camera in that video with regards to anchor/release. Three arrows at a time. Fluid....more like syrup than water, and the secondary anchor point being a deepening of the release all advice comes together to provide a new plan to work through the shooting ills that have plagued my enjoyment for too long. Thanks Nate for helping to clear some of the fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steps of shooting in the Hill style, if the shooter has ingrained habits that are not conducive to the HIll style, need to be learned and built upon gradually, as they can be a bit overwhelming. This blog is to help build the form gradually and have fun and learn something along the way.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this one
    this is where problems arise for me when I get a glitch-pluck if not a good pull through release

    I think hitting that second anchor point after release is something I definately gotta work on in the blank bale shooting

    I think thats gonna be my magic bullet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again Nate.
    Out of all the instruction in the video, I think I struggled with understanding this part this most. Your explanations helped me, as well as shooting at a moving target. I found on the moving target, there is no choice but to be smooth and fluid. There is no time to settle into an anchor; just swing with the target, draw, release, and practice proper follow through with the hands. I was hesitant to try shooting at moving targets for the first time, but was pleasantly surprised at how well this style worked on them and how natural it was to just swing and score a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nate. This has cleared up a lot of questions for me after watching John’s videos. I get so worried about getting to a full anchor that I am more focused on it than the target, fearing the return of target panic. I have also noticed I am sometimes much more accurate when my anchor isn’t rock solid. This is going to free up my shooting and enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you’re saying works; however, in hunting situations I find myself holding the shot longer than desired. I start my draw when the animal is looking away or its eyes are behind a tree, or I start my draw when I think the vitals will soon present the best shot, only to find that my shot rhythm doesn’t quite match to the animal’s stride. I then unintentionally hold at my anchor longer than I practice, just waiting for the opportunity and moment. What should a person do to practice for these real hunting situations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear what you are saying and I think it is probably true some or most of the time when shooting at wary whitetails from the ground. However, by my experience and other whitetail ground shooters around the country, those that employ the swing draw have found that animals, even whitetails, have a second of reaction time where they see your movement and decide to react accordingly. They usually stop and turn to look at you and that's the moment they see you move, verify that their senses alerted them to danger, and react. If the arrow is not held, but released in one motion, that usually takes about 1 second from draw to release and 1/2 second for the arrow to get to the animal. If the animal's eyes are not looked at before the shot, when they turn to see your draw, there is the time period that they are deciding what to do and in that time period, you've already released the arrow. If your eyes catch the animal's eyes in that moment, there is immediate recognition and a faster danger reaction response. Basically you watch the spot you want to hit, the moment you have a clear shot, you swing and shoot and don't try to time the shot to anything the animal is doing. I've shot many deer (mule deer) and hogs while they watched me shoot. I didn't look them in the eye, and they saw the motion of the swing draw which alerted them, but by the time they decided I was danger and tried to move, the arrow was in them.
      For this to work, there has to be no hesitation on your part, no second guessing the timing of the shot, and no moving of your eyes off the spot to hit. That part is very hard to do if you are aware that the animal is turning to look at you. Our human tendency is to hesitate if we see the animal moving in our direction or has noticed us. That hesitation on our part makes the shot timing too late and we are better off not shooting.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Nate. That’s a solid explanation.

      Delete
  6. Really enjoy reading all these gems! Thanks for sharing with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a slow "molasses" swing draw will work on white tails around here if they havn't spoted you / not staring at you- kinda timed to their walking speed -kinda kills the movement like a strobe effect

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Nate. Really enjoy these shooting tips. GS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jean-christophe BlancMay 23, 2024 at 1:33 PM

    Thank you for your instructions again. This work of two anchor is very important to don t anticipate the first contact, because the aim has to go to the second point.
    Very ingenious 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have found if I hit a stationary anchor and hold even for a split second my bow hand will wander and have left and right problems. I believe I shoot best if I touch anchor and the shot is gone without losing any tension on the string till release .My bow arm will still be pushing to the target like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the exact same Robert, and if I try to hold, the pluck is inevitable.

      Delete
    2. Robert I agree 100% if I hold, even an iota , I pluck or creep.

      Delete
  11. Robert that is exactly what I have described previously - have been working on hitting the secondary anchor blank bale practice- making sure that the thumb nuckleends up ANCHORED at the back of the ramus of the jaw-

    Its becoming ingrained now in my form and definately eliminated the pluck as Nate said it would

    best thing I learned on here for me- it works

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its not a 2 step thing for me-(that screws me up)
    but when the corner of the mouth is touched the release is happening but continue to pull through with the thumb nuckle ending up at the back of the ramus of the jaw-still one continue dynamic release but with a final anchor- definately tightened groups and evaporated the pluck

    If doing it wrong I'm sure Nate will correct me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Correct, it's a two part process, but we have to think of them in continuity. No stopping the fluid flow between the parts. The first anchor reference flows into the second without any hesitation. If looks like one motion, but in our mind and practice the second anchor is where the motion stops and the shot is anchored. Prior to that, and including the first point of reference at the corner of the mouth, everything is fluid and in one motion

    ReplyDelete
  14. 12 fps, that was the difference between stopping my draw(thumb locked under the ear), having a friend check my draw length, and then releasing, to shooting a typical 1 second tempo where my release fingers skid back a bit and my thumb was just barely touching my neck under my ear and behind my jaw bone and in the follow through the bow hand was actively pushing the bow at the target and not thinking about the gates of the chronograph. I think of it as the difference between a static follow through and a dynamic follow through. Right or wrong that is what naturally feels right to me and requires no directive thought, merely an after the shot observance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One thing I have seen often over the years and it hit me as well. When folks have issues with full draw early release TP, they are often advised to draw, anchor, hold, aim, but don't shoot. They can do this at things that they have no intention of shooting at, but when they go back to thumping the old familiar target, they tell themselves to draw slow, hold, aim and then release. It is the common static technique, a recipe for TP that you will fight forever. If one is jerking the draw, yanking off a loose release and wants to slow things down, the draw anchor, hold let down routine is the long way around barn and probably won't work. Just because a target shooter calls something TP, you can call it what your problems are, like drew too fast, messed up my release, Those are two separate things. If you want to shoot smooth, slower and fluid, thoughts of stopping, holding and then letting down is cross intentions. The best way is to do exactly what you want to do, with one singular intention, draw smooth and slower, release as reach your draw and follow through properly. If your draw is acceptable, then work only on the release, a proper follow through is the reward of a well executed shot. Notice, I never said aim. When the little annoyances are cleared up, you can then can consider if you are picking a spot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well said Larry. John Schulz told me when working on something like an actual short draw problem or some other version of TP, to just slow everything way down, but never stop. Perform the swing draw slower, deepen the first anchor a little more but never stop drawing and releasing in a fluid motion.

    He said the motion is going from syrup to molasses, but it never stops being fluid. Once the proper motion is firmly entrenched, then things can speed up and the target can be concentrated upon more fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just out shooting and was having some trouble hitting my mark today and remembered what you said in this post "just slow everything way down, but never stop" and it fixed me right up. It immediately made a night and day difference in my accuracy and consistency.
      Thanks Nate!

      Delete
  17. Jean-christophe BlancMay 31, 2024 at 3:13 PM

    I tried today drawing in slow motion like molasses as you sais Nate , and the feeling is very nice . I pass through the anchor on the corner of the mouth without fair, because the goal is the second anchor , on the jaw. The release was clear and natural, very quiet.
    Thank you for all your advices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jean-christophe BlancJune 1, 2024 at 5:04 PM

    I wanted to say "without fear " not fair .....
    Sorry for my english.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

POPULAR TOPICS