Three Arrows

       A simple lesson, remembered from time spend shooting with John Schulz... Three Arrows.

       During instruction in John's classes I took, he would instruct me to put three arrows in my quiver.  He always said "three arrows".  I'd brought a pile of arrows to shoot, not knowing what would be required.  "Why only three, John?"  I asked.

       "One arrow is a good number to practice with for hunting, but never gets you into the flow of shooting a fluid, rhythmic style.  Two just doesn't get there either and any more than three will cause you to start anticipating the shot."

         Later, when thinking over his words and philosophy, it sure made sense.  Part of the Hill style of shooting is being fluid and rhythmic and ingraining the process of smoothly withdrawing arrows from a backquiver without undue fuss.  Three arrows is just about right for that, but anticipation of the shot?  What could he mean?  Some time later, during practice sessions at home, I realized what this meant.  When you are hunting or roving around, usually one arrow at a time is the normal shot scenario.  That's great to simulate the situations found in hunting.  However, sometimes you need a follow-up shot and you need it quickly.  Learning the method of quickly getting a second arrow on the string will pay off in hunting situations, as he aptly mentioned in his video, and that starts with smooth quiver handling.  

     However, shooting arrow after arrow at the same target, can somewhat "dull" the senses to the feel of the shot.  Our brains can get mind-numb and we find ourselves mindlessly shooting arrows without any concentrated direction.  In our semi-comatose (tongue in cheek) shooting, our brains begin short circuiting the shot cycle, already knowing the direction we're going and finding a more rapid way to get there out of dire effeciency.  "Shot anticipation"...as Schulz told it to me.  When we can concentrate on proper form with each arrow shot at the close blank bale, or concentrate on the spot to hit when we're away from the bales, we are giving our minds a purposeful activity on each shot.  No shot is mindless. We won't be anticipating the shot, but every shot will have direction and purpose. Having to retrieve the arrows after 3 shots gives our minds a break.  I have found this instruction absolutely key to prevent me from developing target panic that years ago (pre-Schulz teaching) gave me fits. No anticipation, no panic.

      There are times when work or life stress can bog us down and we need the mental and physical release of shooting arrows to clear our minds.  I love this part of shooting a longbow.  The smooth rhythm is soothing to many ills.  Putting three arrows in my quiver, I rove around, not really concentrating too hard on a spot to hit, but not concentrating on form either.  It's the in-between place I go to.   My concentration is on the act of shooting an arrow as smoothly as I can, with a blank mind,  only thinking of the simple joy of the physical act of shooting an arrow and watching it fly, followed by another and another.  There really isn't any purpose, other than to enjoy the act of shooting.  At these times, the three arrow mentality is superb. It gets me into the flow of shooting, and I shoot at a different spot each shot, but I don't really bear down on the shot...the exercise is to free my mind, not engage it more and I'm not shooting enough arrows to shoot mindlessly before I go retrieve them.  Even without really concentrating on the spot, (it can be kinda blurry) or concentrating on form, it's amazing to me how close to where I'm looking, the arrows will hit.

     I know a lot of hunting archers who employ the Hill style of shooting like to rove around shooting one arrow.  That's great...try it with 3 next time.  Shoot all three at different targets from the same place, maybe adjusting the stance or shot distance a little to vary things, but each shot is connected to each.  All three are a team and each time the arrows are removed, nocked and shot in a fluid fashion.   For the guys to like to pound arrow after arrow into a backstop...stop.  Go enjoy shooting just three at a time and see what it does for your shooting and confidence.

      Keep it fluid, keep it simple, keep it fun.  Three arrows will help you,

      Shoot Straight.

Comments

  1. Thanks Nate!
    The last couple of weeks I've been shooting pine cones around the yard. I collected a bunch and set some on the ground, some on sticks, hung from a horizontal line, and put some in some light brush. I shoot at them from different angles and distances and past different obstacles. Like you describe, I'll take a shot at one and then another and with no more than three arrows. They make a very satisfying sound and explode when you get a square hit on them.
    I've noticed there is a frame of mind I get in when I'm doing my best and I'm making shot after shot. Everything feels fluid, the anchor is strong but not static, and the release is smooth; but it's not consciously thought about, it just happens, like taking a step when walking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently settled into this, for me to be absolutely the truth, by results! I believe in sometimes mixing it up, but I profit the most, by usually daily, 3 anxiously anticipated shots, then a short break, followed usually by 3 sets if 3! It works, keeps me under control & focus! But I hadn't even thought of it in the woods stumping, l8ke most probably, one arrow then walk & wait! I'm going to incorporate the 3 rule into this now! Good practical advice that works Nate, it has for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good strategy. My first few shots are always anxious too. When I practice, I try to take those first three into a bail of hay at close range to just get the muscles working and feel the form again. It doesn't matter where they land, which helps me relax and settle into being fluid before I try to aim at anything.
      When out hunting, I try to find an large ant hill (there's always one not far) to shoot into to get warmed up.

      Delete
  3. Excellent advice. Your paragraph about life, stress, and freeing the mind hit home. Shooting for me used to be a getaway. After taking a few days course with Rod Jenkins all of a sudden archery became a huge mental exercise of specific steps. TP soon followed. I returned to the simplistic form of shooting that had been my nature since boyhood and the enjoyment of archery and freedom of the mind soon followed. TP is still there, but maybe this 3 arrow regimen (instead of shoot/pull/shoot/pull with one arrow) will settle my mind the rest of the way and the balance of my enjoyment of archery will resurface.
    Thanks Nate (and John)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always practice with 3 arrows but not for any specific reason. What John said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean-christophe BlancMay 3, 2024 at 11:40 AM

    Maybe three is a good number to shooting practice.
    In french pétanque, the players have three bawls...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! I’ll definitely give this a try next time out shoot’n.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried it this afternoon, works really well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

POPULAR TOPICS