What's in your quiver?

    Well, hmm... after a summer spent working on shooting form, concentration, some tackle tips and reading about some Hill longbow history,  it's time to think about fall.  That wonderful season where the air is crisp, the colors of nature brilliant, and the thrill of the chase beckons the hunter's heart.  It's time to assess the gear you'll take into the woods and fields as you roam, rove, and perhaps do some hunting.  Part of that gear-related thinking might be about the backquiver, and how it works in the woods.

    The Hill style backquiver is a really useful tool for the longbow enthusiast, and can be more than just an arrow holder if it's design is properly utilized to the fullest. Once the archer is accustomed to withdrawal of arrows in a fluid manner, it's time to get used to sliding it around, under the bow arm, to manage the arrows when going through trees and brush. All it takes is some practice and the willingness to learn a system.  But put in the time and your mind and body will learn where the arrows are by space awareness and will move accordingly to help avoid the obstacles.

     But now you're using the quiver and wonder how you're going to carry the extras needed when going afield.  This is the way I do it...






    Of course, the first item is arrows and I carry a few. Blunt arrows accompany broadhead arrows when big game hunting and if needed I can separate them by a little loop at the quiver mouth. But I like to carry enough arrows to be prepared for anything encountered afield. I never know if I might need a follow-up shot, or find a covey of grouse, or run into a self defense situation with a lion, bear or wolf. I have run into all three while hunting other game and fortunately the situations eased without having to shoot any arrows, but you never know... 

   In the dead space located at the upper part of the quiver bottom, I add a leather pouch that is attached to a leather insert, which rides in the quiver bottom. Under this insert, is a plastic bread sack used to cover my fletch in rainy weather, a plastic Ziploc bag to keep freshly shot grouse, or rabbit meat, and a length of aluminum foil to be used as an emergency fire base, a makeshift bowl or grilling platform.

     In the pouch at the quiver bottom I keep emergency items for safety and repair.... Fire starting items like a Bic lighter and Vaseline-soaked cotton balls, a whistle, needles and thread, whetstone, bandaids, a pocket knife, tweezers, pick, and shock cord.   In the string pouch I carry and extra bowstring, game tags and license, length of  tough thread to hold a tag to antlers or leg, and a sharpening steel. I carry a broadhead sharpening file in a slim pouch attached to the inside spine of the quiver body.

     With these items, I feel a little more prepared when roving or hunting afield and they don't take up much room or add much weight to the quiver or unbalance it for carrying.  These items are always with me, because if I'm hunting or shooting at all, I am wearing the quiver.

    For any other gear, I now prefer a haversack of some sort over any other pack system.  They hang on my side, allow easy access to gear contained within and stay out of the way while moving through the woods. I try to keep things light and simple, realizing I carry more gear with my simple approach into the woods than my archery forefathers would have ever done. 

  On a short hunt, no matter how far from camp or my vehicle, I may throw a sandwich into the bottom of the quiver along with an apple or granola bar... And I may also carry a grouse or rabbit back to camp whole, while dropped into the quiver. This quiver style gives me those options. A water bottle on my hip and cellphone for emergencies, carried in my pocket can complete my setup.

     Think about how you too can simplify how much gear you bring into the woods, and maybe where you can cut out the excess and just enjoy the simplicity of this old -fashioned way of hunting.. and always remember to

     Shoot straight... 






Comments

  1. Simular stuff but I keep my quiver perty naked with arrows and a Canadian belt knife tied to the outside lacing- string pouch with string and extra tab with in

    mainly all that goes with me

    if long trip or hunting I have 2 sizes of haversacks already loaded with emergency stuff -and para cord (minimal useful stuff )and just add water and snacks and grab the little or big one depending on what planned-mostly just grab quiver and bow and gone-can function with that most stuff I do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nate.
    I've done a lot of through hiking over the years and quickly learned you pay for every pound you carry with you. A light setup is a must if you want to cover ground comfortably.
    Three additional thing I bring when I know I'm going far from the truck are a few water purification tablets to top up my water bottle if needed, my ultralight poncho/tarp (size of a pop can) in case of rain or staying out overnight, and a good headlamp with a backup battery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nate, there's a couple tips there that I'm going to employ! I ran across your blog the other day and have been really enjoying the content. I've always appreciated you sharing your insight and information, so I'm glad I found this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to add to my above post -after shooting for the day I tie my armguard and tab to a thoung on the lacing -so in reality all I need to go is grab my quiver and bow and I'm very functional with out having to think about collecting stuff for the trip- wish I could post a picture of my bare minimum quiver set up

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the timely article. I have always carried a full back pack with all the stuff for emergencies, weather changes , game processing etc because I can end up far away from camp in rugged mountain terrain and am always surprised at the weight of my pack. Over the last 40+ years of bow hunting I have rarely used much of it so this year I’m going to lighten my load and at age 77 enjoy not pack so much weight.

      Delete
  4. This summer I had Nate build me a custom backquiver and armguard .
    Those , along with an extensive journey on learning the Hill system of shooting, has been great challenge! Weeks and weeks of 20 foot max shooting , has been slowly ingraining my shot to a fluid shot.
    The quiver has been an integral part of this system.
    I look forward to using it this season! Thanks Nate for all the advice and the incredible backquiver

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

POPULAR TOPICS